Translate

Friday, May 17, 2013

Thought of the Day


    I have referenced the great Fredrick Douglas several times in my many posts, blogs, videos, and tweets. I reference his life’s deeds so frequently, because I am in awe of his intelligence; his bravery; his discernment--- in a word the man was great.
    I refuse. Fredrick Douglas refused to remain a slave. Fredrick Douglas refused to remain illiterate, so he learned. He realized knowledge is power. Power strong enough to free the mind from the shackles of mental slavery, which was more important than freedom from the physical slavery.
   After freeing himself mentally, his great challenge became freeing his fellow enslaved Brothers and Sisters. First mentally; then physically.
    How do you explain the inhumane wrongness of slavery to a slave who doesn’t know he is a slave?
    I reference Fredrick Douglas a lot, because I still would like to know the answer to that question.
    How do I convince a forty-year-old Brother that colleges and universities (education) aren’t exclusive to certain race of people? How do I convince him of the fact the jim crow laws were abolished, he can move out the “ghetto” if he wanted to?
      No. We didn’t start from the bottom.
    If we look at the lives and writings of the true heroes of the past, we would find that we are facing a large majority of what our ancestors faced many centuries ago.
    Fredrick Douglas was confronted with back stabbing “house niggers,” and double-crossing female slaves who were in love with the slave masters. And through it all, he prevailed. Not Fredrick Augustus Washington Bailey, the slave, but Fredrick Douglas, the man.
   Freedom is all I want. For everybody.



Fredrick Douglas 1818-1895


                                                                                                              James Scott. May 18, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment